The cabin I built is rustic to the degree of reclaimed lumber, timber, roofing, doors n windows. All near 100 yr mark & comprises 85% of the construction work.
From fall of 2009 into winter 2010 when I began this habitat, to now winter of 2017 – I’ve worked over 24,000 hours to create my home, garage & attached outbuildings to the garage, fencing & much etc.
It’s a never ending, ongoing project; til I die.
Yes – I am a woman; of years. 75 February 2018…
Just for fun – here is a detail of a simple corner shelf above my galley range. I started this 12.12.17 – took a total of 6 hrs.
And one beer…😊
Here…. Somewhere in the corner.
Let’s begin! 😊
One natural edge piece of planking left… It’ll do.
First (for me anyway) a template – this piece of cardboard box will do.
The shelf is cut accordingly – ‘tested’ in the corner, & found perfect (my perfect- not necessarily YOUR perfect 😄)…
A few ‘left overs’…
Decent straight edge…
1″ x 1″ shelf supports are measured – since I don’t want them in MY eyesight – they’re a few inches shorter than perhaps ‘norm’, and the shelf will have one screw each side to ‘rest the front lip on. One screw at back corner to prevent shifting – not nec – but what the heck…
Longer side – 11″
Shorter – 9″
The pieces are cut & temp. Caulked into place – while leveling… Temp screws keep it honest.
Front cross piece – ditto.
The shelf meanwhile, is coated with polyeu & drying in the sun.
And final level test…
Good nuff for gummint work – then summ.😆
Time to slip the shelf onto it’s perch…
Yaaaaa. Looks goooood! Level?
Gummint work level!!!
Am pretty much redoing this corner of the galley – I want to have clear counter space after too many years of clutter.
Soooo – using more ‘found’ material – created a pot/pan lid & dish ‘rack’ – Wall mounted OFF the counter AND small mug rack…
Those are wood beads caulked onto the very sharp edges of the cut metal – found the beads years ago – in a drain ditch – on the way back to the ranch. Ya never know…
Devised a new spice rack off the surface as well… Am liking it a lot…
As I said – Rustico!
In next couple of days, I’ll go to the local mill & see if I can find enough for the counter expansions.
Hassta! for now.😄😊🔨🐾😀
AVAST! Counter Expansions underway! 12.17.17🙌
Located a fair plank at the mill. It was a bit bowed cuz it was so wide (14″ +/-) from age & weather exposure over years.
As u may see. I had already cut the larger piece last afternoon – from – a cardboard template! The rounded out bit is to give easier access to trash bin underneath.
These are soon to be bases for the extensions…
Old old but very flat flooring out of the cabin I helped tear down in 2009/10…
Testing size – fit – along with the filler piece against wall.
Good. 😏. Now since am using the perfectly level old counter areas as a base (why not?) And the NEW counter expansion is bowed … I broke it’s back…
Laid it bow down on the boardwalk & stepped on it til it cracked…Flipped over & found a couple of tiny shimms to keep it opened to just about flat.
Again – Rustico! my perfect – probably not yours… 🙅😋😋❤❤
Caulked the crack – waited – now going to nip off protuding unnecessary shim bits.
The front also has a few – natural – these also get treated with a bit of caulking.
Just a bit of a note about paint/sealer/polyeur – regarding whatever applicator (brush) used…
While waiting for one layer to st/dry sufficiently – for the next one – I use a plastic sandwich bag – zipped to the handle. Works!
Pieces are dry enough to be placed!
Flat enough! Level enough! Space enough! Am likin it a lot!!! 🙌🙌🙌💙❤💙👏👏👏. Time: 4 hours & 2 mugs of coffee.
Evening beverage begins – NOW 😋👈😊👈
No need to go into the other range side – as it is basically a flip. Flip the cardboard template – re- mark as necessary & go to work on the wood… Eezy Peezy!😪😋